If the dataset will be used by Draw Maps for ArcGIS, collaboration boundaries must be drawn directly in ArcGIS Online (not in the Draw Maps app) before they can be joined and used in Draw Maps. Skip this if the dataset will never be used by Draw Maps users.
A Draw Maps collaboration boundary is nothing more than a working boundary in which Draw Maps data is associated. The boundary not only indicates the area of work for the collaboration, it is the record that names the collaboration and makes it available to join in Draw Maps. Every time you need a new collaboration, follow the steps below in ArcGIS Online.
Create a new collaboration:
1. Use ArcGIS Online in your browser.
2. If you aren’t already viewing your web map, open the web map in the Map Viewer.
2.1. Browse to the Content tab.
2.2. Under Item Type on the left, click Maps -> Web Maps.
2.3. Click the web map in the list on the right.
2.4. When the web map details are shown, click Open in Map Viewer.
3. Click the Edit in the icons on the right edge of the Map Viewer (it looks like a square with a pencil) to open the Editor tool.
4. Scroll down to find the Draw Collaborations layer and click the Open template (only “open” collaborations can be joined by Draw Maps users).
5. Draw the boundary in the map. A new vertex for the boundary is added for every click in the map. Double-click your last vertex to complete the drawing. An attribute window appears.
6. Only enter a name for the collaboration. Leave CollaborationID blank. Leave Type as "Normal" and Status as "Open". Leave any other attributes alone.
7. Click Createat the bottom. Until this is done, the feature is not created in the database.
8. Don’t worry if your collaboration boundary is not exactly where the edges of your work area should be. A collaboration boundary is only a guideline to get users started in a work area. The users are allowed to take notes outside the boundary.
9. If you ever want to change the boundary, do not delete it and draw a new one. Instead, use the edit tools in ArcGIS Online to modify the existing boundary. Deleting the boundary will result in all the notes being lost except on the devices that have already joined. Never delete a boundary that contains notes.
10. Save your changes by clicking Save and open -> Save at the left edge of the Map Viewer.